Friday, July 1, 2011

Way Behind on an Update

The title says it all guys, i am so sorry i have not been updating. Internet and time became a big problem. They never seemed to go hand in hand. But i have it now, so get ready to be updated live from South Africa!

     So much has happened since i have last updated my blog. The week after i left you guys a girls team of 19 came from Shades Mountain Baptist Church. (the church i just started attending when i left). I did not know any of the girls but since 17 of them were from samford i got to know a few of them pretty well! Im excited about this because these people got to experience the same things as me and we will be able to keep in touch and hang out back at samford! & how cool is it to make friends in SA and still see them in the states?
 
     My role as a volunteer changed a little bit when the Shades team came. Instead of being told what to do or where to be i was helping the shades team get adjust and into the routine of things, so that their week stay there would be most beneficial to the people of Capricorn and to them as well. Because we had a team from the states my routine changed a little bit. When a team from the states is here they typically bring money and resources because of this we got to do really cool things for the kids. One day we had hygiene day. We washed the children's feet, cut their nails, and alex and i gave them a lesson on how to brush their teeth and a lesson called "be bitter about litter". Hygiene was a big success thanks to the shades team, i fully believe it would not have been possible without them. All the kids got to go home with a new tooth brush too, along with their typical palony sandwich. :) Another thing we got to do was have an outreach day. THis day both kids, teens, and parents were invited to come to our container and learn more about Living Hope and what they do. This day was a success. We had people passing out flyers, big signs, and loud music. For the kids we had face painting, nail painting, salvation bracelets and a huge soccer game for the kids. Again, all things we cannot do with our typical 3 volunteers. But the most amazing thing we got to do when the team was here was have a girls retreat for the teen girls!! On Saturday, we had all of the teen girls come over to the Team house (the house where the team was staying) for a day of fun, bonding, bible study, and worship!  we started the day with breakfast and coffee, then had a bible study led by meagan, and melanie gave all of the girls a spiritual gifts test which we took with the girls. I got to take it with my friend kathleen (14). Taking this test with her opened a ton of new doors for our relationship. We were able to talk on a more personal and deep level. This was such a God thing. After this we had a yummy lunch, and played outside. Then the shades team had organized some relay games to play on the beach, involving balloons. I'll let you imagine how crazy this was. Overall the shade team was great, and i was very blessed to have met them.


     Goodness, so much has happened in the weeks that I did not get to blog. There are so many stories I could tell, so many things I could tell you we did. I do not know where to begin. I leave tomorrow. I have a 6 hour car ride to the Cape Town airport, a flight to Jo-berg, London, Chicago, and then finally Atlanta. It is going to be a long time, but I am excited to have that alone time to reflect on the relationships I have made, the things I have learned, the places I have been, and how God has changed me.

    Who are the people I have made relationships with? Melanie. Melanie is from the states (Shades Mountain Baptist church to be specific). Melanie is one of the first red-heads I have met that does not have quick temper. In fact, Melanie is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Melanie gives, gives, and gives to the teens of Capricorn. Teens are teens no matter what country you are in. They all think they are too cool and they can’t appreciate the fact that someone is dedicating their life to invest in them and make their life better than it was when she first met them. Mel is such an inspiration to me. I don’t know how she doesn’t give up sometimes, she has strong faith in the Lord and I am confident that she is doing His will in Capricorn. Mel has also brought to my attention a lot of things about missions. For example, Tim brought up the book “When Helping Hurts” during orientation (a must read) Mel was able to give me personal accounts of when helping hurts and the affects positive and negative of short term mission trips. Mel was the person I would look forward to riding in the car with her for an hour because I knew she would have some knowledge to share with me. It was such a blessing getting to work with Mel for 5 weeks. If anything she has quite the humor. I am looking forward to staying in touch with her.

     Mel lives with Meagan.  Meagan, (pronounced Meegan) is from South Africa. She works along side with Mel with the youth in Capricorn. Both of these ladies are truly amazing. I learned a lot about the culture and what it means to come from that culture from Meagan. Meagan is the kind of person that you would want walking beside you when you are scared, although short you can tell this girl has some fight in her (especially under her toboggan). Meagan is not only a strong girl, but she is also a strong daughter of Christ. The teens at youth completely see this in her. My prayer is that they not only see what she does, but do what she does. God has put Meagan through what she has been through for a reason, and for now that reason is this youth. Mel and Meagan are a great pair together and we can only pray that Capricorn is open to what they are doing.

     Meagan mentors Kathleen. Kathleen is a beautiful 14 year old from Capricorn. Kathleen is the loud one in the group. She has GREAT potential for leadership, but isn’t doing and thinking the things that a leader in Capricorn needs to be. Kathleen is very closed off to changing, but can tell you a few things about the Bible. Through the girls retreat she and I were able to talk more about her potential and how she needs to use it for the right reasons. There is just something about Kathleen that grabbed my heart. My prayer for her is that she becomes broken to her ways and open to God’s way.

     Let me not forget about Jaydee. Jaydee became one of my closest friends in Capricorn. Jaydee and I were blessed with the opportunity of sharing our life stories early in my stay in Cape Town. Because of this, she and I were able to pray together weekly and support each other with what we were going through. She and I became really close, and I have God to thank for that. We both experienced similar things in life and it was really cool to teach her things I have learned, and learn things she has learned. Thank goodness Jaydee is able to get on facebook through “mix it” because I do not know where I would be without a girl like Jaydee in my life. My prayer for Jaydee is that she is able to have some fun, she is so worried about being perfect for her mom that sometimes she doesn’t let herself have some fun. (the girls retreat was awesome for her, for this reason. It was about her and not about what she could do for others). Jaydee has a great spirit and much potential, I have no doubt that she will use it the right way.

     These are just a few of the relationships that I have made here on my stay. I didn’t eve get to start with the volunteers of Living Hope that have made my experience that much better. The 6 other people I have been living with that all bring something unique and special to the table. And people like the amazing Alicia. 

     I have seen so many things, from poverty, to tourist attractions, to God's beauty, to the ugliness that man has brought to earth. So much to process. My eyes have been open to this trip, and letting it soak in so that i can learn. i want to learn. i want to be the best i can be for my Heavenly Father. and let me tell you, i have learned. 

    This is all for now, but when i have time and internet i will add more, including pictures, and HOPEFULLY videos. but for now here a video we used a youth one night! Our youth got second place for this video! Check it out and see why they are crazy for Christ! Capricorn Youth is Crazy for Christ! 

Thanks for reading! 
Lauren Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment